RichardDawkins.net
Operation Clambake

Monday, January 28, 2008

Google Pulled my AdSense Account!

Just got this from Google AdSense!

While going through our records recently, we found that your AdSense account has posed a significant risk to our AdWords advertisers. Since keeping your account in our publisher network may financially damage our advertisers in the future, we have decided to disable your account.

Please understand that we consider this a necessary step to protect the interests of both our advertisers and our other AdSense publishers. We realise the inconvenience that this may cause you and we thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

If you have any questions about your account or the actions that we have taken, please do not reply to this email. You can find more information by visiting

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=57153&hl=en_GB.

Yours sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

Well! It seems their policy of matching keywords in a blog with advertisers may have a fatal flaw. The pro $cientology advertising foisted on me by Google purely because I write about it a few times obviously didn't sit well with me. Or, it seems, $cientology itself. If I could have removed their ads from my blog i would have. But then again, there's always the view that it's best to read both sides of a subject and the old mantra of "There's no such thing as bad publicity!"

Mind you, i've also written about my distaste for Google's policy in China so perhaps when the clams called up the Google AdSense team they could find reasons for both parties to be upset about my blog.

Never thought of myself as a significant risk for anyone. Do unto others (ie; The Golden Rule) is the way I live and treat others. Happy to argue my case. I enjoy debating and relish a damn good conversation. But running and hiding by pulling my account seems pretty cowardly. Sneaky 'phone calls, mock indignation. The actions of faceless vested interests. Didn't even have the courage to leave a comment and enter into a discussion. If they are so sure of themselves they wouldn't need to resort to tactics like this. They would be able to meet us critics head on in honest debate, each side making points they can defend with pride.

Obviously not their way of doing things...

No comments: